Writing a list of New Year’s Resolutions has become a practice among millions of people. Some create an elaborate to-do list to overcome bad habits. On the one hand, those who actively seek Cedar Park chiropractors for neck adjustments hope to use their New Year’s Resolutions to achieve better spine health and bid farewell to chronic problems like back pain.
Everyone has become vulnerable to backaches, no thanks to the long hours spent in front of computer desks and the limited options for physical activities. If you share the same experience, it might not be a bad idea to start writing your list of resolutions to prevent the root causes of your discomfort. After all, it’s never too late to change your ways, maintain a healthy spine, and avoid back problems.
Not sure where to start? We already have a list of resolutions prepared for you!
1. I Will Get Enough Sleep Every Day
Sleeping problems and back pain often go hand in hand. Some studies argue that poor quality of sleep causes backaches, while others say it’s the other way around. That’s why it’s crucial to work on both issues to help you improve your spine health. Below are some tips you can try:
- If you sleep on your slide, place your pillow between your knees. This will provide ample body support to prevent your lumbar spine from twisting while you sleep.
- If you sleep on your back but still suffer from lower back pain, try placing a firm pillow behind the knees.
- Change your sleeping position if you tend to lay on your belly. Otherwise, your backaches will only keep getting worse.
- Do you have trouble staying asleep because of your backache? Try taking NSAIDs or applying a heat patch on the stiff and painful areas.
2. I Will Setup a Small Fitness Corner at Home
Thousands of people can’t hit the gym as they shelter in place. If you’re part of the statistics, we suggest setting up a small fitness corner (or room, if you have extra space) in your home. This way, you can have a dedicated place for at-home workout exercises such as bridge, knee push-ups, stationary lunges, side-lying hip abduction, and overhead squats.
Try spending at least 20 minutes each day in your fitness corner to stretch your body or do quick cardio exercises. This will work wonders for body aches because it will help loosen stiff muscles, promote blood circulation, and release natural painkillers.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and back pain download our complimentary e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Back Pain and Sciatica by clicking the image below.
3. I Will Invest in Comfy and Well-fitted Shoes
Did you know that ill-fitting shoes can make backaches worse? The wrong pair of footwear can significantly impact your posture, leaving you extra vulnerable to twisting muscles and joints and misaligned spinal bones. If you have persistent backaches, it may be time to re-evaluate your choice of footwear and switch to better and comfier options.
If you’re unsure how to choose the best footwear to prevent back pain, we recommend following these tips from NYC-based podiatrists:
- Keep the heels under 2 inches high to avoid straining the back
- Opt for additional cushioning if you’re eyeing a running footwear
- If you have foot problems caused by diabetes, you should try footwear with rock-bottom soles
- Skip minimalist or barefoot shoes if you experience back pain
4. I Will Stop Smoking
Smoking cigarettes or other tobacco products lead to premature damage of the protective layers between your vertebral bones. It can also increase the risk for additional back pain-causing problems like loss of bone mass and osteoarthritis. So, when you create your list of New Year’s Resolutions for back pain relief, we strongly suggest including “I will stop smoking by the end of 2022.”
5. I Will Work on My Body Posture
Our Cedar Park chiropractors often remind patients about the importance of body posture in maintaining optimal health. If you have poor posture when you sit, stand, or walk, your head becomes off-centered, and the rest of the body has to adjust to keep your line of sight upright. Here are some ways you can improve your body posture and lessen the pressure in your spine:
- Avoid slumping your body while working
- Use a foam roller to release tension in tight muscles and joints
- Check your phone messages by lifting the screen instead of tilting your neck downwards
- Check for postural problems caused by degenerative disc diseases or cervical subluxation
- Make sure to position your body correctly when lifting heavy objects
6. I Will Visit One of the Trusted Cedar Park Chiropractors
If you haven’t tried visiting Cedar Park chiropractors, this is the best time to do it. After all, upper cervical care is holistic and natural, so you can expect great results after getting your neck bones checked and adjusted. Studies have proven that the technique provides lasting back pain relief by removing undue pressure caused by off-centered C1 and C2 bones. It also speeds up tissue healing, especially with irritated nerve roots (sciatic nerve) and compressed brainstem tissue.
Learn more about how simple and painless cervical spine adjustments can help you lead a life free from back pain this 2022 by calling us at (512) 331-7422. You can also send your message to the Symmetry Health Chiropractic Center team using our website’s contact form.
To schedule a complimentary consultation call our Cedar Park, TX office at 512-331-7422 You can also click the button below.
If you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.